Congratulations on your engagement! We know this is a very exciting time for you. Thank you for considering the Cathedral of the Incarnation for your celebration of marriage.
The Cathedral of the Incarnation is a vibrant parish community in the heart of Baltimore. The Cathedral is the part of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Maryland. We are proud to be a very inclusive community – whether you have come from a different denomination, different faith tradition, are a same-sex couple, or you are exploring your faith – we welcome you. And, we welcome couples from all faiths and traditions to be married at the Cathedral.
- At least one person must be a baptized Christian. We realize that many couples often represent more than one faith tradition. We want to honor the faith traditions you have come from, but request that at least one in the couple has been baptized.
- The Cathedral welcomes clergy of other Christian denominations and faith traditions to officiate at weddings with the prior approval of our Dean. If couples plan to celebrate the Eucharist during the service, one of the Cathedral clergy will officiate or co-officiate the wedding using the service from the Book of Common Prayer. All Episcopal clergy will be responsible for obtaining all marital judgments from the Bishop of Maryland and fulfilling all legal and canonical requirements. Clergy of other denominations will be responsible for obtaining proper permissions within their religious institution..
- If you do not know a pastor or priest who can perform your wedding, a priest of the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland can officiate the service with appropriate notice.
- All wedding plans and preparations will be made under the direction of the Cathedral Wedding Coordinator.
- All musical arrangements are made under the direction of the Canon for Music and Worship, whether or not he will be the organist of the wedding.
- A wedding program listing the order of service and the participants may be used. The bride and groom are responsible for its preparation and duplication. A copy of the wedding program will be provided to the wedding coordinator before the wedding rehearsal.
- The Cathedral Wedding Coordinator will be the main contact for all the wedding service preparations. She will be the person responsible for the wedding rehearsal and will be present on the day of the wedding.
Premarital Counseling Requirement
Couples being married in the Episcopal tradition must attend premarital counseling sessions. There are many counselors who provide this service and we will be happy to give you some suggestions. Couples from other traditions will receive direction from their officiating minister.